Thursday 23 October 2014

For them, it's duty before Diwali

Diwali is fun performing puja, bursting crackers, lighting diyas, and sharing goodies with family and friends.Rupsa Chakraborty takes a look at professionals who sacrifice this joy in the name of duty to keep Amdavadis safe
DIVYA DESAI, 23
108 SERVICE EMPLOYEE
It has been four years since Divya cel ebrated Diwali with her family.“Every Diwali, I work from 8 in the morning to late evening. Though I do not regret it because it is my duty,“ she says.While anyone would resent the lack of leave during such an important festival, Divya takes it in her stride. “I might not be able to celebrate with family and friends, but I receive blessing that are far more valuable.“
She adds, “During this time, several clinics are closed. Patients do not know where to go or what to do. They turn to us for help and it gives us pleasure to be able to take away their worries and pain. They bless us with all the love in their hearts. What more can I ask for?“

AMER BALDEV, 22
FIRE-FIGHTER
Amer stays with his parents and wife in the staff quarters but is hardly able to celebrate Diwali with them. “We are on call 24x7. However, fire incidents soar during Diwali due to careless use of crackers. And we are constantly on our toes,“ he says.Recollecting last Diwali, he said, “My family and I got together to burst crackers and have sweets. A fire broke out somewhere and I had to rush to the spot to douse the flames. When I returned, it was so late that my family had fallen asleep waiting for me.“
As he is always on duty during Diwali, his family has gotten used to celebrating without him around. “They feel bad and miss me but duty is more important than celebrations,“ he said.
DR DINESH PARMAR, 36
SURGERY DEPARTMENT, CIVIL HOSPITAL
Dr Parmar, who will be at civil hospital on duty on Diwali, feels his professional oath commands him to perform his duty first. “There is no question of celebrating when we have so many patients lined up for treatment on Diwali. It's our job to treat the patients and that is Diwali for us,“ he says.His parents have been asking him to visit them at his paternal house in Sabarkantha, but his duty stops him from taking leave. “I know they miss me as all my relatives have gathered there for celebrations. However, my patients need me more. How can I think of taking leave and leave them helpless and in pain?“ Narrating an incident that occurred last Diwali, he said, “I treated a patient who lived in the outskirts of Ahmedabad where no medical facility was available. When the patient recovered, his parents were so grateful that they hugged me and showered me with blessings. As long as he lives, his family members will bless me. That is more important than bursting crackers or eating sweets.“
SAFIULLA K PATHAN, 44
TRAFFIC HEAD CONSTABLE
Father to three teenagers, Pathan has rarely been able to spend Diwali with them as he mans roads to ensure that people drive safe and do not experience a tragedy during festive time.“My children ask me to stay with them for puja and celebrations. But I have to ignore their demands so that I can carry out my duty,“ he says.With people visiting each other during the festival, traffic turns into a big issue. “Duty is supreme. Our duty becomes more significant during the festive season when there are more chances of untoward incidents. My family is also proud of the duty I perform,“ he added.


No comments :

Post a Comment